Summer Squash Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake
This "not too sweet" coffee cake is firm like a quick bread, perfect with a cup of tea or with your morning coffee.
summer squash, yellow squash, zucchini
oblong glass baking dish 8.9 inch x 13.2 inch
large mixing bowl
grater or food processor with grating blade
stand mixer or hand mixer
grated zucchini or summer squash
vegetable oil or olive oil
all purpose flour
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an oblong baking dish.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine grated squash, sugar, oil, vanilla, and eggs. Mix well.
3. Add 1 cup of the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder. Mix well.
4. Add the remaining two cups of flour and mix until incorporated.
5. In small bowl, mix the 1/4 cup of brown sugar and the 2 Tbsp of cinnamon together.
6. Pour 1/2 of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle 1/2 of the cinnamon sugar mixture over the top.
7. Spread the rest of the batter on top of the cinnamon sugar, and sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon sugar on top.
8. Use spatula to swirl the cinnamon sugar throughout the batter.
9. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes until a toothpick can be inserted in the middle of the cake and comes out clean. Cool completely before serving.
Try it with fresh homemade whipped cream!