Treats with Summer Squash
When I planted our summer squash, I made sure to do two yellow squash plants: a crooked neck and a yellow zucchini. I knew only one green zucchini plant would be enough. I didn’t realize that the yellow squash would grow faster than the green ones! So here is a recipe for a “not too sweet” coffee cake to use up that extra summer squash from the garden.
Summer Squash Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake
- oblong glass baking dish 8.9 inch x 13.2 inch
- large mixing bowl
- grater or food processor with grating blade
- stand mixer or hand mixer
- rubber spatula
- small bowl
- 3 cups grated zucchini or summer squash
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil or olive oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an oblong baking dish.
- 2. In a large mixing bowl, combine grated squash, sugar, oil, vanilla, and eggs. Mix well.
- 3. Add 1 cup of the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder. Mix well.
- 4. Add the remaining two cups of flour and mix until incorporated.
- 5. In small bowl, mix the 1/4 cup of brown sugar and the 2 Tbsp of cinnamon together.
- 6. Pour 1/2 of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle 1/2 of the cinnamon sugar mixture over the top.
- 7. Spread the rest of the batter on top of the cinnamon sugar, and sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon sugar on top.
- 8. Use spatula to swirl the cinnamon sugar throughout the batter.
- 9. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes until a toothpick can be inserted in the middle of the cake and comes out clean. Cool completely before serving.
Summer Time 2020
This is certainly a strange year due to COVID19, and I miss all my former activities directing choirs and playing in a community band, but I’m grateful to be home on the ranch, growing a garden, and using this time to make new friends through my blog! Let me know if you try my recipes, and share photos on Instagram. If you hashtag #MimiAvocado I’ll see them!
Use Up That Extra Summer Squash
There are lots more ways to use up that extra summer squash! I’m planning to try some summer squash recipes that friends have shared. Here are some:
Tropical Zucchini Bread from my friend Sue at It’s Okay to Eat the Cupcake
Roasted Baby Summer Squash Soup from my friend Natalie at The Devil Wears Parsley
Grilled Zucchini Pizza from my friend Karen at Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Spiced Zucchini Bread from my friend Dorothy over at Shockingly Delicious.
Zucchini Cream Cheese Pound Cake from my friend Sara at My Imperfect Kitchen
Leave a reply →