This morning I made muffins…but not sweet cupcake-like muffins…these are savory muffins with bacon, zucchini and carrots….plus extra sharp cheddar cheese! The Farmer gave them a thumbs up!
These little savory muffins are like miniature omelets, but firm enough to eat with your fingers. We agreed that they would be wonderful with some sliced avocado on top. The Farmer enjoyed his with ketchup this morning because….oops…we didn’t have any ripe avocados!
We sat outside on the porch with our coffee, enjoying every last one of them…marveling at the blend of flavors…the carrots added just enough sweetness …there is no sugar in the recipe. The perfect Sunday morning treat!
Savory Breakfast Muffins
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
4 slices uncooked bacon, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup grated carrot
1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
3 extra large eggs
1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 cup low fat milk
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. all-purpose seasoning
1. In a large skillet, sauté the onions in the olive oil. Add the bacon and cook until the bacon is almost done. Add the grated carrot and zucchini. Cook for about 3 minutes. Take the mixture off the heat and let it cool.
2. Beat the eggs and milk together. Stir in the grated cheese.
3. Stir the zucchini mixture into the eggs.
4. Mix the flour, baking powder, and seasoning together. Stir the flour into the eggs.
5. Spray a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray, or grease and flour the muffin pan. Spoon the batter into the muffin pan.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown. Remove from the pan immediately and serve warm. Makes one dozen muffins.